Recipe Review..."King Ranch Chicken Mac and Cheese" Southern Living Magazine Jan. 2012

I saw the picture, on the front of the Jan 2012 Southern Living Magazine, of the Mac and Cheese Recipe made in a cast iron skillet and knew I had to give it a try.  I had just gotten a new pan for Christmas and this looked much better then the first recipe I tried in my new skillet.  Looked like lots of cheese so how could it taste bad right?:-) I gathered the ingredients...

Ingredients


  • 1/2 (16-oz.) package cellentani pasta
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • medium onion, diced
  • green bell pepper, diced
  • (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (i used a larger can)
  • (8-oz.) package pasteurized prepared cheese product, cubed
  • 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
    I studied the instructions...

    Preparation

    1. 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
    2. 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes and green chiles and prepared cheese product; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Stir in chicken, next 4 ingredients, and hot cooked pasta until blended. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet or 11- x 7-inch baking dish; sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese.
    3. 3. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
    4. Sounds easy so here goes....
    Saute the onions and green
    pepper in butter... 
    ..smells so good.... 
    ...water is ready for the pasta...


    ...cheese and diced tomatoes... 
    ...Yum, looks so good together... 


    ..need to sprinkle with cheddar 
    cheese and pop in the oven... 
    ..finished product... 



    1. ..not much left...





























    So what would I rate this recipe on a scale of 1-10?  I really liked it.  I would have to give it an 8.5.  I would make it again.  Joe and Erica seemed to enjoy it.  Made it last night for dinner and we had the left overs for lunch.  Not a drop left:-)  If you like cheese you will like this recipe.  I suggest you give it a try.
    Happy Cooking Everyone.
    Enjoy Your World:-)

Comments