Butter Toffee Popcorn from Cook's Country Magazine (Dec 2010)

Recipe Review...."Butter Toffee Popcorn" from Cook's Country Magazine

My new favorite cooking magazine is Cook's Country Magazine.  I love it, it's great.  The pages are filled with step by step instructions.  They try many of the recipes in their test kitchen, then share with you what works and why, and what doesn't and why.  What fun!!  In the spirit of the holiday I decide to make something easily shared, and  hopefully tasty,  for a party or gathering.  I decided to try Butter Toffee Popcorn.  I gathered my ingredients......





Tastes pretty good before its cooked too.  I think Joe and Erica liked it best this way:-)

Finished product.
Close up..
...yummy:-)














Heres the recipe from Cooks Country if you want to give it a try.....

Butter Toffee Popcorn
It stores well and makes a nice gift packed in a decorative tin. If you don’t have a large roasting pan, bake the popcorn in a large disposable aluminum pan. Avoid popcorn with heavy butter seasoning. 

Makes about 3 1/2 quarts
3quarts popped popcorn (see note)
10tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter 
1 1/2cups packed light brown sugar 
1/2cup dark corn syrup 
1/2teaspoon salt 
1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract 
1/2teaspoon baking soda 
2cups salted peanuts 

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Grease large roasting pan. Place popcorn in pan. 

2. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Off heat, stir in vanilla and baking soda (mixture will foam). Add peanuts and pour mixture over popcorn, tossing to coat. 

3. Bake, stirring occasionally, until popcorn is deep golden brown and caramel has set, 1 to 1½ hours. Cool to room temperature. Serve. (Popcorn can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.) 


So what do I give this recipe on my cooking scale.  I think I would have to give it a 9/10.  Really good.  Erica made it for a party and some of her friends requested the recipe.  I have made it 3 times.  Still not sure on what cooking time I like best.  I guess I will have to give it another try.
Happy cooking and enjoy your world everyone:-)

Comments