Oh No My Hands Smell Like Onions! What Should I Do? Stainless Steel You Say?

Have you ever been chopping onions in preparation for a dinner party?  When you finish the task, you realize "Oh no, company is coming, and I smell like onions."  Don't panic a solution is within reach,  literally.
When I was doing my online search to solve the problem of smelly onion hands the use of stainless steel came up on every site.

The rationale that I found was that there are sulfur molecules in onions that create the unpleasant order.  Stainless steel works to neutralize these molecules.

Most folks that use the stainless steel method use a spoon.  They rub the spoon on their hands as they would a bar of soap.  This odor reducing technique is best performed while running your hands under cold water. The spoon is not the only tool that is used to de-odor your hands.  There are some people that don't leave their sink to retrieve a spoon but use the inside of their stainless steel sink or the faucet.

I found other suggestions,
*Apple Cider Vinegar-Put a couple of drops on your hands and rub.
*Lemon Juice-Not everyone likes the smell of vinegar, so they used Lemon Juice instead. 
*Table Salt-Salt was suggested, but it tends to dry out your hands. 

These tend to be the top contenders for onion smell remover.  
As for me the next time I chop onions I am going to try the stainless steel method.  

Happy Cooking and Eating!
KathieyV:-)

 Here are a couple of links if you want to read more.

Disclaimer:
(I am not a "hand smell removal expert."  I have not tried any of the methods suggested myself although I plan to.  All suggestions were found while researching this subject online.  
Use these techniques at your own risk.)

Comments