What in the world is Marsala Wine?

I found a recipe I wanted to try,  Chicken Marsala from All Recipes Magazine.  I love wine but have zero knowledge of Marsala Wine.  I consulted Google...
Marsala is a wine, dry or sweet, produced in the region surrounding the Italian city of Marsala in Sicily. 
While the city's natives sometimes drink "vintage" Marsala, the wine produced for export is universally fortified similar to Port, Madeira and Sherry. Originally, this addition of alcohol was to ensure that it would last on long ocean voyages, but now it is made that way because of its popularity in foreign markets.

Marsala wine is frequently used in cooking, and is especially prevalent in dishes served in Italian restaurants in the United States. A typical Marsala sauce, for example, involves reducing the wine almost to a syrup with onions or shallots, then adding mushrooms and herbs. One of the most popular Marsala recipes is chicken marsala, in which flour-coated pounded chicken breast halves are braised in a mixture of Marsala, butter, olive oil, mushrooms, and spices. Marsala is also used in some risotto recipes, and to produce rich Italian desserts such as zabaglionetiramisu and shortcake.
Wikipedia

I was not sure if I should use Marsala specifically for cooking or just grab a bottle of Marsala wine.  I still don't know the answer to that.  I used the cooking wine based on the suggestion of the store clerk.
My finished product.....








Yummy dinner.  You can find the recipe on an earlier blog post of mine.  Chicken Marsala ll from All Recipes Magazine.  
The wine above is one of my favorites.  No, it is not Marsala but I think next time I go to the store I will pick up a bottle to add to my wine rack:-)
Happy Cooking and Wine Tasting Everyone!
KathieyV:-)

Comments