Restaurant Review...Primal Food and Spirits plus a Wine Dinner Adventure


I have heard good things about this restaurant.  When Melissa asked me if I had been there, I said "no not yet," so we decided to meet there one night after work.


"At Primal we take gluten sensitivities seriously, and representing the needs of the gluten-free community is very important to us. Simply put, it is part of our identity, and it is exactly what makes us different from everyone else. Our kitchen is 100% gluten-free, 
meaning there is no possibility of cross-contamination."
(quote from their site)
 I loved the variety of glasses on the table. Well, let's order some wine.  Melissa ordered a Moscato, and  I had the Chardonnay.
The restaurant itself was lovely. It has a rustic, warm feel.  Very nice.

GRILLED AND GLAZED SHRIMP 
Yummy:-)

CHICKEN N’ DUMPLINGS BRAISED CHICKEN CREAM HERBED DUMPLINGS 
Melissa ordered this.  I had a taste.  I would call it comfort food.
I ordered...
GRILLED SALMONMISO-CITRUS GLAZE PINEAPPLE SALSA /BROCCOLI STICKY RICE 
My photo did not turn out, but it was good:-)
We shared the
BAKED APPLE GRANOLA CRUMBLE 
 While we were there, we noticed an upcoming event.  It was a wine dinner hosted at Primal.  I had never been to a wine dinner, and Melissa said she had not been to one either.  So what the heck, we decided to go.

Primal Fall Harvest Wine Dinner
The event was held in a room near the back of the restaurant.
The room was nicely decorated.
The people slowly arrived...

 The Menu
Several of the food items were new to me. Such as Chestnut Soup and 
Cippolini onions.  The wines were not the typical ones that I am accustomed to buying 
which made me realize I have a lot to learn about wine.

The Chestnut Soup at least for me was the highlight of the evening.  
Amazingly delicious!!!!
I find quail challenging to eat.  This is the second time in my life I have had quail.  I find it to be nearly all bones.  The flavor was nice, but I am not a quail person its just too much work.  I am sure there is fine art to eating this delicacy, but as of yet, I have not developed the needed skill set:-)
The beef short ribs were lovely.
I enjoyed the dessert.  Especially the tapioca pudding.   
Anything custard or pudding like is a major weakness for me.  
Thanks for a wonderful evening, Melissa.  We must do it again soon!
  If you are in south Durham I suggest you give Primal Food and Spirits a try. 
You won't be disappointed.
Get out and try a new Restaurant!
KathieyV:-)

Comments