Recipe Review, Bell Peppers and Broccoli from Readers Digest....."Fettuccine Primavera"

I enjoy Readers Digest because of the short stories and tidbits of information.  I was reading their food category and came across an article on Superfoods and your appearance.  This is what they said about Bell Peppers and Broccoli....

Bell Peppers and Broccoli
Vitamin C increases production of collagen, the skin's building block.  
In other words, fewer fine lines around your eyes and mouth.  
(Hmm, I wonder if it will take away the fine lines if I start eating it now?:-)

I decided I should find a recipe with both bell peppers and broccoli.  I consulted Google.  It did not take long to find one. Here is the recipe.....

Fettuccine Primavera from BUITONI

  • Prep
  • Cook
  • Ready In
Recipe By:BUITONI(R)

Ingredients

  • 1 (9 ounces) package BUITONI(R) Refrigerated Fettuccine, cooked according to package directions, kept hot
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 1/2 cup sliced carrots
  • 1/2 cup red bell pepper strips
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
   
  • 1 cup NESTLE(R) CARNATION(R) Evaporated Milk
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup BUITONI(R) Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated provolone cheese
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste


Directions

  1. Heat water in medium saucepan to boiling. Add broccoli, carrots and bell pepper. Reduce heat to low; cook 5 to 7 minutes. Drain; set aside.
  2. Melt butter in the same saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour. Gradually add evaporated milk and chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in Parmesan cheese, provolone cheese, cayenne and black pepper until cheese is melted. Toss with pasta. Add vegetables; stir to coat. Serve immediately.
Which wine should I choose?  I decided to go with the Chardonnay.

I enjoyed this recipe.  It was cheesy and yummy.  I wold give it  8/10 on my cooking scale.  It needed a bit more flavor.  I would also add more veggies.  I have leftover fresh broccoli and red bell peppers.  I think I will cook them up and serve them with my remaining Fettuccine Primavera.

The article did suggest that you eat 1 cup of fresh or 1/2 cup of cooked bell peppers and/or broccoli per day.  Not sure if I can do that but I can increase the amount that I do consume.  

As always good advice from Readers Digest.
Happy reading, cooking and eating everyone!
KathieyV:-)

Comments