Exploring the Triangle....Dame's Chicken and Waffles Durham NC

Durham has changed over the years since I moved to the area in 1991.  There are many new and exciting restaurants, and other venues, that I have heard about but not explored, at least not yet.  I have decided to attempt to explore the many interesting places in Durham and the surrounding area.  My friend Cindy and I decided to start with Dame's Chicken and Waffles.  Unique flavor combination.  I had heard rave reviews.  Everyone that has mentioned this restaurant said you need a reservation because the line is out the door for those who show up without one.  So, we made reservations and off we went.
We got there a bit early, and yes the line was out the door.  Our reservation got us in quickly, and we decided to sit at the bar.
Here is a quote from their website.
"Dame’s is where crispy, Southern fried perfection meets deliciously sweet European decadence. Dame’s pairings are world-class, comfort food combinations meant to fulfill your appetite’s and heart’s desires. From “first-timers” to “barnyard veterans”, Dame’s Almost World Famous Chicken & Waffle inspirations are truly palette pleasing pairings that offer something special for all comers. We hope you enjoy every morsel. But be careful, these dishes are truly, smack yo’ Mama good!"

We decided to start the evening with a drink.  Cindy and I both ordered what I call a tropical drink.  I don't remember the name of it, but it was fruity and delicious.
The bar area.  
I like the chicken at the top of the photo:-)
What to order?  I had studied the menu before we arrived and decided to go with the Orange Speckled Chabo.  
Here is how they describe the dish.
"A “Rare Breed” A chicken cutlet, a Sweet Potato waffle, 
drizzled w/ Honey Dijon, Orange-Honeycomb smear"

What is a shmear you ask? Here is their description.
"Dame’s soon to be, Almost World Famous “Shmears” are made of sweet crème butters that have been delicately whipped with the freshest natural ingredients available."

Well, there it is.  Chicken and Waffles, a combination I would never have thought of putting together.  It works.  Yummy.  The waffle was a sweet potato waffle that was melt in your mouth good.  The chicken was moist and delicious.  You can see the drizzle in the top left corner.  The shmear I did not get in the photo.  It is a smooth flavored butter that I enjoyed.

A friend of mine has been to Dame's several times.  She said her favorite thing is the Shrimp and Grits.  With that in mind I ordered a side of grits.  The grits were creamy and delicious.  
As you can see from the photo, I enjoyed my meal.  I took my leftovers home to enjoy at a later time.
We had a great time at Dame's Chicken and Waffles.  If you find yourself in Durham I suggest you give them a try.  Nice people and great food.  Don't forget to make a reservation.
Happy eating and exploring.
KathieyV:-)

Comments