Recipe Review....Helpful Hints from Cuisine At Home Magazine, Chocolate Chip Cookies

I was reading the June 2013 issue of Cuisine At Home Magazine and came across a question from a reader in regard to chocolate chip cookies.  They wanted to know, why, if following the same exact recipe their chocolate chip cookies would turn out differently.  Sometimes they were thin and crispy and other times thick and chewy.  I must say I have wondered that at times myself.  They seem to turn out different every time.
So what was their answer?
It has to do with the temperature of the ingredients, and how the dough is mixed and handled.  So how do you overcome this variable? Their answer, "chill the dough until it is very cold".  This "allows the fat to stay firm to aid in the shape of the cookie and allows the proteins to relax and the liquid to absorb, giving your cookie better texture and flavor" They also suggest making sure that your cookie sheet is at room temp and not hot or you defeat the purpose.
Ok lets give it a try.  I picked up the Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, gathered my ingredients  and mixed my dough




I decided, for scientific purposes, to make one batch from the fresh batch without the chilling. The result is seen below. Tasty but flat cookies...
I chilled the dough for several hours and placed the dough on a room temp cookie sheet and popped them in the over...

It really did produce a better texture.  They were moist and chewy with more fullness.
Here is a picture from the magazine of a side by side comparison...I guess they know what they are talking about...Yummy Goodness:-)


So next time you make chocolate chip cookies try chilling the dough and see what happens.  For me it made all the difference.
Happy Cooking Everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)

Comments