Recipe Review....Key Lime Pie VII from Allrecipes.com


I have many recipes that I want to try saved on my Pinterest board.  I thought it was high time I got started.   I decided to try Key Lime Pie VII and Better Then Ever Cheesy Meat Lasagna.  Both sounded wonderful.  Only one of the two made my 8/10 cooking scale rating and that was the Key Lime Pie.  The Lasagna was fine, we did not waste any of it, but I would rate it maybe a 6/10.  So here goes with the pie....
























I studied the recipe I found on All Recipes... You will see my adjustments and hints in blue:-)
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 Minutes (cook time for me was longer around 13 minutes)
Ready In: 55 Minutes
Servings: 8  
INGREDIENTS:
1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
3 cups sweetened condensed milk (2 of the small cans is all you need)
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup key lime juice (I used "real lime juice")
1 tablespoon grated lime zest (I did not use the zest)
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime rind. Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.
3.Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes(13 for me), until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of pie. DO NOT BROWN! Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.
I gathered my ingredients...only a few so really easy!


















Mixed everything together...


Poured the mixture in the prepared graham cracker crust....and into the oven...
The directions tell you to look for tiny pinhole bubbles.  I was not seeing any bubbles at the 8 minute cooking time they suggested.  When I read the reviews on this recipe most folks ended up cooking it longer.  My cooking time was around 13 minutes....see the pinholes in the photo below?...
















A bit hard to see but they are there...The recipe says to garnish with lime slices and whipped cream.  Have you ever thought you had a great idea only to have it fall flat?  That is what happened to me when I attempted to garnish this pie.  My great idea...I will use Reddi Wip, its easy and tastes yummy and I can have the pie looking great in a matter of seconds.  Wrong!
It may have looked nice to begin with....














Looks fine, but I did not take into account all the air in Reddi Wip....in a matter of seconds all the fancy swirls were gone, and what was left had melted down the sides of the pie.  Was still good but not pretty.
















Here we are a few days later.  Only a small piece of pie left and no Reddi Whp in sight.  I wonder where it went? Evaporated completely I guess!  I will re-garnish with a few blueberries..much better....


So what did I learn?  Cooking time is a bit longer then it called for and do not use Reddi Wip to garnish your pie:-)  I think I will go with Cool Whip next time it tends to hold up better...
I would rate this pie a 8.5/10.  I thought it was a good tart/sweet pie and it was easy to make.  It would be great served with fresh berries.
We gave Caleb a bite of the pie. He made the sour face and started to run away.  He made it a few steps, hesitated, turned around and said "hmmmmm" and came back for more.  I think the lime hit him first and then the sweetness:-)
(Photo taken by Josh Orihood
Master Photographer
He needs to give his Mother-in-law lessons:-)
Happy Cooking Everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)

Comments