Recipe Review Apple Bacon Stuffed Pork Chops from Taste of the South Magazine Nov 2012

I decided to try something I have never tried before.  Stuffed pork chops.  I even had to go to the expensive meat counter to get my 1 and 1/4 inch thick bone in pork chops....How exciting:-)
I found the recipe in my new favorite magazine Taste of the South Nov 2012 issue.  I studied the recipe...

Ingredients
  • 4 slices bacon
  • 1 cup finely chopped cooking apple
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 cup cornbread stuffing mix
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 4 (1 1/4-inch thick) bone-in pork rib chops, trimmed (about 1 pound each)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, divided
Instructions
  1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, keeping drippings in pan. Set bacon aside to cool.
  2. Add apple, onion, and celery to bacon drippings in skillet; cook until apple mixture begins to soften, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
  3. In a small bowl, combine salt and pepper. Crumble bacon, and add it to the apple mixture in skillet with 1/2 teaspoon salt mixture, stuffing mix, and chicken broth; stir until liquid is absorbed.
  4. Using a small sharp knife, cut a horizontal pocket in the side of each pork chop, about 3 inches wide and 2 inches deep. Open pockets and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt mixture. Gently stuff about 1/2 cup apple mixture into each pocket. Secure each pocket with a wooden pick coated in nonstick cooking spray. Season outside of pork chops with remaining 1 teaspoon salt mixture
  5. Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a broiler pan sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
  6. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add 2 pork chops; cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes on each side. Place browned pork chops on prepared broiler pan. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and pork chops. Pour 1/2 cup water into bottom of broiler pan.
  7. Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of pork chops registers 145°, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Lightly cover with foil; let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
  8. Note: Pork chops can be stuffed and refrigerated for up to 4 hours before cooking. Be sure to thoroughly cool the apple mixture before stuffing in pork chops.
    *If you don't have a broiler pan, just place pork chops on rimmed baking sheet and bake that way. I often forget to add the water and they still turn out fine :)
My photo recipe experience.....
Made the stuffing....yummy!
























Have you ever tried to cut meats with a dull knife?  Well I have.  It is frustrating to say the least.  It is not really cutting but the word "sawing" comes to mind.  It took me some time.  I had to "saw" the excess fat from the side opposite the bone then I had to "saw" pockets into the chops....Ugg!  After much "sawing" I was ready to stuff the pork chops.
The next day though I found myself at a new cooking store at the mall.  I found the knife I want for Christmas....Hint...Hint:-)  What a difference a sharp knife makes.  Yes they are pricey but they actually cut.  I took a test run with the knife.  I sliced potatoes.  I couldn't believe the difference a sharp knife makes.  I sliced through the potato like butter.  Amazing!!










I must say it was a bit difficult to brown the chops with all of the tooth picks in the way but I did it and they looked amazing.

After a wonderful meal we headed out to the back yard so Caleb could wonder around.  
He loves being outside.....




As you can see Caleb and Grandpa have matching garden chairs:-)
Now about the recipe.  I would give them a 8.5/10 on my cooking scale.
I may make them again on Thanksgiving Day for Joe and I.  The rest of the family are visiting other family members that day.  Our turkey day will be on Friday when everyone will be at our house.
Happy Cooking Everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)

Comments