Recipe Review "Stove Top Chicken Pie" from Southern Living Magazine


Stove Top Chicken Pie

After work last night I decided to try a new supposedly easy recipe from Southern Living Magazine, Stove Top Chicken Pie.  I had already studied the recipe and gone to the store to get the ingredients.  Of course I did change things up a bit:-)  You will see my changes in parenthesis....

Ingredients
  • 8 frozen buttermilk biscuits (I used Grands Jr, in the tube)
  • 1 small sweet onion, diced (I used 1/2 onion)
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms (Joe does not like mushrooms so I left them out)
  • 4 cups chopped cooked chicken (bought Perdue Short Cuts, two packs)
  • 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken soup with herbs)
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (chicken broth with sodium:-)
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 (8-oz.) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, cubed (Used the full fat cream cheese, 
  • who ever heard of low fat cream cheese:-)
  • 1/2 (0.7-oz.) envelope Italian dressing mix, about 2 tsp. (Didn't use because of the herbs in the soup)
  • 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed

Preparation

1. Bake biscuits according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, sauté onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until golden. Add mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken and next 5 ingredients; cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixture is thoroughly heated. Stir in peas, and cook 2 minutes. Spoon chicken mixture over hot split biscuits.
I gathered my ingredients...




























Of course I had to add something not on the list.  I added some black pepper and a bit of Tabasco...




Yum...it was very good.  I will make it again. I will give it an 9.5/10 on my cooking scale.
Happy Cooking Everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)

Comments