Pop-Up Pizza Casserole from Hometown Cooking 2002

Returned home from a great weekend with Steph and Erica in Williamsburg and decided to throw an easy meal together. I needed something fairly quick and easy, for me, the tired traveler:-)
I went through some old recipe files and found Pop Up Pizza Casserole.

POP UP PIZZA Casserole

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic, minced (I used garlic powder)
1 1.5 oz envelope of spaghetti sauce mix
1/2 tsp of dried oregano crushed
1  15oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup of water

1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (I suggest 2 cups)

POPOVER BATTER:

1 cup  milk
1 Tablespoon cooking oil
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I suggest a bit more)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

*Brown ground beef, drain. Add onion, garlic, pepper,spaghetti sauce mix, oregano, tomato sauce and water. Heat to boiling. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour hot meat mixture into bottom of ungreased 9x13 pan.  Cover with Mozzarella cheese.
Popover batter: Combine milk, oil and eggs. Beat 1 minute. Add flour and salt, beat 2 minutes. Pour evenly over meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and a deep golden brown. Serves 6-8.
I gathered my ingredients....




























Meat and egg mixture...




























Sprinkle with Mozz. Cheese, next time I would use more...

























































Golden Brown.....




























It was easy.  It was good, but not great.  I like the concept and I would try it again. Next time I would spice up the meat mixture a bit and add more cheese.  Have I already said that:-)  I guess I would give it a low 8/10 on my cooking scale.....





























 ....Brodie gave it a 10/10!....:-)
Happy Cooking Everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)

Comments

  1. I used 2 1/4 pounds lean ground beef with pizza sauce; covered the beef/sauce mixture with sliced mozzarella and muenster; then 3 cups more shredded mozzarella.
    Doubled the batter recipe on top.
    Took 45-50 minutes at 400° (next time will try 425°)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment