Kathieys Recipe Review ...."Broccoli, Grape, and Pasta Salad" Southern Living Magazine Sept. 2011

I love my new cooking club. It forces me to try different cooking techniques and to hopefully learn new things. For last months meeting I chose two recipes to make for our Meetup feast.  I choose Apple Cream Cheese Bundt Cake and a Broccoli, Grape and Pasta Salad.

All the recipes for the meeting were to be taken from the Southern Living Sept 2011 Edition.  Everyone would choose a recipe, or two, and bring them all together for a food feast. I couldn't wait to get started....I studied the recipe....

Ingredients

  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 (16-oz.) package farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
  • 1 pound fresh broccoli 
  • 1 cup mayonnaise 
  • 1/3 cup sugar 
  • 1/3 cup diced red onion 
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 2 cups seedless red grapes, halved 
  • cooked bacon slices, crumbled 

Preparation

  • 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. (I had never baked pecans before...easy:-)
  • 2. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
  • 3. Meanwhile, cut broccoli florets from stems, and separate florets into small pieces using tip of a paring knife. Peel away tough outer layer of stems, and finely chop stems. (This was new to me too:-)
  • 4. Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add broccoli, hot cooked pasta, and grapes, and stir to coat. Cover and chill 3 hours. Stir bacon and pecans into salad just before serving.
  • I gathered my ingredients....

 I had never cut fresh broccoli before.  I know, I am old enough to be a Grandma.  No wait, I am a Grandma:-)

Yes, Old Grandma's can learn new tricks.  I consulted Google and cut away.  Fun!

All my chopped goodies...
Finished product.  Creamy and delicious...
I would give it a 9/10 on my recipe scale.
It had a tangy sweetness and a freshness about it.
I will make it again.
Happy Cooking Everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)

Comments