Saturday, September 17, 2011

"Fried Alaskan Cod" my fish frying adventure....yikes:-)

Kathiey's Recipe Review....Fried Fish Adventure...


Another week, another new recipe.  Little did I know the recipe I found in "Anyone Can Cook" by Better Homes and Gardens would lead me on an adventure of both discovery and danger.  I chose my recipe on page 58, "Pan-Fried Fish".  I have little experience with frying or even buying fish but I decided that I was not to old, at least not yet, to learn.  I studied the recipe...first I had to find white fish.  Just what is a white fish?....(Wikipedia says.."a fisheries term referring to the flesh of many types of fish")  So I guess it is exactly what it says, a white fish.
First the "discovery" part.  Those of you who know me know I love Wegman's Food Market.  It is amazing!  Steph and Josh live near one and when we were visiting a couple of months ago Steph asked "What would you like to do Mom?".  My reply was "lets go to Wegman's". If there is a grocery store in heaven it will be Wegman's.  Sadly, we have nothing, that I was aware of,  in our area that could compete.  Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for Harris Teeter and Food Lion, great stores but Wegman's is an a category of its own.
I happend to be in Raleigh yesterday and had white fish on my mind.  I saw a new grocery store had opened on Six Forks....Whole Foods.  Yes we do have several in the area but I had not had the chance to explore one.  "Maybe they have white fish".  I entered and was amazed to discover a mini Wegman's.  Glorious, Happy Day....It was beautiful.  Colorful fruits and veggies, meats, fish, wine.  Everyone was friendly and helpful.  I did not have time to explore the entire store but I fell in love:-)
I went to the fish counter and was helped by a very nice guy.  After talking to him I decided to alter the recipe I was planning to use...so here goes...I gathered my ingredients....
I had Canola Oil in the pantry so that is what I used.
Decided to try Spicy Seasoned Seafood Batter from Whole Foods.
Alaskan Cod?  It is white and its a fish and the Fish Guy said it was good....
Here is the danger part of my story.  Hot Oil.  It scares me.  I place about 1/4 inch in my pan and heated it on medium heat for 10 minutes just as the recipe said. After 10 minutes it was not steaming or bubbling so how am I suppose to know if it is hot? You know how to check a hot griddle?  Put a couple of drops of water on it right?  This should work
with hot oil too, right?  Wrong...Danger....silly me!  I put 3 small drops of water in the pan and the sizzle started then I heard a pop and oil shot straight up in the air.  Brodie jumped back and so did I.  Luckily we did not get burnt and were fire free.  I do understand fully now that the saying is true "water and oil do not mix":-)
I cut my fish into serving sizes.


The fish guy told me to rinse the fish and pat dry with paper towels.
Then dip your fish in milk and coat with the fish seasoning.  So I set up my fish dipping station.

The fish cooking line.  I was a bit nervous about placing that first piece of fish.  I dropped it in. More danger oil flew from the pan.  I was more careful with the second attempt.  I let it slide into the  pan, much better approach.  So I cooked them 3 - 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.  Turning only once.  They turned out great.  Flakey moist and flavorful. If you are making a bunch of fish BH&G suggest that you put the cooked ones in the over at 300 degrees to keep them warm while you finish cooking the rest.
Yummy!
Easy fish recipe.  I would give it a 9/10..Very good.
Just a bit messy if you are not used to frying foods like me.  But fun:-)

While at Whole Foods I picked up a tasty treat....Fresh Fruit Tarts...
Joe and I enjoyed our fried fish with rice and veggies last nigh.  Really good!  The spicy seafood seasoning from Whole Foods was wonderful, not to mention the fruit tarts.
Happy Cooking Everyone.
Enjoy Your world.

No comments:

Post a Comment