"Flatlander Chili" from All Recipes (Kathiey's world 2010)

Recipe Review..."Flatlander Chili" from All Recipes.


Steph Josh and Erica were coming home and we were going to the North Carolina State Fair.  So what would be easy to make and keep us fed for a couple of days?  Chili!

There is nothing like a bowl of Chili.  I remember coming home from school when I was little and being thrilled when mom was whipping up a big pot of chili.  Smelled so good!
I have always called chili.....well.....just that, chili.   In Texas they call it a "bowl of big red".  My co-worker Kristin calls her chili a bowl of chili beans.  I pictured just a bowl of beans, but no,  it is just regular chili just given a regional name.
I went on line and did a bit of reading about chili.  In different parts of the country it is common to find chili used in different ways.  You could find folks putting it on burgers, fries, rice, mac n cheese, spaghetti and baked potatoes.  In Nebraska it is common to serve chili with cinnamon rolls??  Yes I said cinnamon rolls.  In Missouri folks sometimes pour pickle juice into their chili and in Tennessee you may see people sprinkle vinegar onto their chili. 
Common chili toppings are shredded cheese, saltine crackers, corn chips and sour cream.  I like mine served with shredded cheese, sour cream, and a good round of bread.   I gathered my ingredients....  




Josh's bowl topped with
shredded cheddar.
My bowl topped with sour cream with a side of bread:-)
Here is the recipe for my chili......I love it:-)


Flatlander Chili
Ingredients
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 to 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (add to taste, joe is not crazy about onions                 so I usually add about a half cup:-)
1/2 cup chopped celery  (Joe does not like celery so I did not add this)
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chili powder  (I always end up adding more for a bit more spice:-)
1 -2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon white sugar (I usually add a bit more)
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 cups canned red beans, drained and rinsed
Directions
1. Place ground beef and onion in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Add green pepper and cook till tender. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
2. Add all ingredients to a large kettle. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

So what do I rate this recipe.  I have to give it a 9.5 on my cooking scale.  It is a comfort food.  Warms your heart and warms you tummy.
Happy Cooking Everyone
Enjoy your world:-)

Comments