Friday, September 16, 2011

Double Glazed Almond Orange Bundt Cake" (July 31, 2010)

Recipe Review.."Double Glazed Almond Orange Bundt Cake"

I found a new recipe on a blog that I enjoy.  It was on a blog called Amandas's Cookin'
Amanda's Cookin  It looked yummy so I decided to give it a try:-)


I gathered my ingredients.

The instructions said to mix the sugar and lemon zest with your finger tips until fragrant.  So I did exactly that, rubbed the lemon into the sugar until the air was filled with the fragrance of lemon.  It did smell very nice:-)





Mixed it all up....




Popped it in the oven.  When I first took it out it did not look brown enough.  I tested it with a tooth pick, it was done.




Surprise! When I took it out of the bundt pan it looked beautiful:-)




Let the cake cool.  Gathered my glaze ingredients.





Finished product.






My review...I would give this cake a 9/10 on my cooking scale.  It was moist and flavorful, the way a cake should be.   I would make it again.  Next time I will make my glaze a little thicker so that it shows up a bit more.  Amanda's was thicker and made for a better presentation.
















Double Glazed Almond Orange Bundt Cake
(Amanda's recipe)
2 1/4 cups cake flour OR scant 2 cups all purpose flour
3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
3 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon buttermilk
3-4 tablespoons orange juice
1/8 teaspoon orange extract (optional) (I used it:-)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, dry pudding mix, baking powder and salt; set aside. Measure out buttermilk and set aside.

Using your fingertips, rub the lemon zest into the sugar until fragrant. Place fragrant sugar and butter in mixer bowl and beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Turn the mixer speed down to low and add the extracts.

Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk, alternating, starting and ending with the flour. When combined well, turn mixer speed up to medium and beat for three minutes.

Put batter into prepared bundt pan and bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for ten minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely.

Blend the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl until you reach a drizzling (not runny) consistency. Place a piece of foil or wax paper underneath the cooling rack to catch drips. Drizzle half of the glaze over the cake and place cake in the refrigerator for ten minutes to allow it to firm up. Stir the remaining glaze (add a few drops of juice if it thickened up while sitting) then drizzle over the first layer of glaze. Drop sliced, toasted almonds into the wet glaze. Allow glaze to set, or place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.


(Happy Cooking Everyone:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment