Friday, September 16, 2011

"Caramel Apple Rolls" from The Mixing Bowl (Jan 2010)

Recipe Review..."Caramel Apple Rolls" from The Mixing Bowl.


I had yesterday off so I decided to make Caramel Apple Rolls.  A recipe I found in Mixing Bowl Magazine.  They looked really good and easy because they use frozen bread dough.......Here is the recipe from their site Caramel Apple Rolls.


Caramel Apple Rolls
Recipe By : joyfulcook  Source:   Mixing Bowl
Brief Description:
Gooey caramel rolls filled with apples and raisins make your morning breakfast just about perfect
Servings :        about 15 rolls     Prep time :       30 minutes 
Cook time :     35 minutes   Total time :      65 minutes
Ingredients: 
1 loaf frozen bread dough or your own homemade dough
2 Granny Smith apples, diced
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
3/4 cup oats, optional
1/2 - 1 cup pecans, optional
1/2 cup white corn syrup
1 jar caramel ice cream topping
Directions: 
Thaw your bread dough or make your own (If you make your own like I did, adding cinnamon to the dough is a nice extra touch.) Roll it out into a large rectangle. Mix the apple, brown sugar, cinnamon, oats and pecans. Spread the syrup over the rolled out dough. Sprinkle the apple mixture over top. Roll the dough up from the long edge. Cut it into 1 - 1 1/2 inch sections. Spread a layer of caramel topping on the bottom of your pan, using about half the jar. (I used a 9x13 and an 8x8). Lay the rolls flat in the pans. Cover and let rise until about doubled, or you can refrigerate overnight and set out for an hour or two before you bake them in the morning. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Take out of over and invert the entire pan onto a sheet pan or large plate so the caramel is on top. Enjoy your tasty morning treat!

As usual I changed things up a bit....

On the bread package it listed 3 ways to defrost your dough....
...I placed it in the pan and then in the frig.  After several hours nothing had happened.  I put it on the counter and went to bed....
This is what I woke up to.  It was huge!!

Prepared my apples.  I ended up using only one large granny smith apple.
Rolled out my dough.  That is hard work....
I used pecans and apples, I did not use raisins or oats.
I placed them in the pan and let them raise again for about 30 minutes.
Baked them for 30 minutes.

Fresh out of the oven warm gooey goodness.  
I found that if they are cool and you want to heat them up, about 10 seconds in the microwave is perfect. 
(Go UNC....go away Duke:-)




















So what do I rate this on my cooking scale.  I would give it an 8/10 which means I would make them again.  
I am a cream cheese lover so my favorite sticky rolls have cream cheese icing on them, but these were really good.  Joe said he could have eaten the entire batch without a problem. 


Brodie and Roxy say hi.....
Roxy, Erica's dog has been with us for the last 2 weeks and is going home tomorrow.  We will miss her and so will Brodie.  We all had a good time together.





Happy Cooking!
Enjoy Your World:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment