Sunday, August 30, 2015

Restaurant Adventures....The Pit, Authentic Barbecue.

It's the weekend.  A good time to seek out new adventures in downtown Durham.  This time Cindy and I decided to check out The Pit.  


(The logo from their site)

I like this quote I found on their web page.

Gone to a ‘barbicue.’ Back in three days.
~ diary entry by George Washington~

(Cindy and I should have stayed longer according to George.  We only stayed a few hours.
I wonder if that is a good excuse to miss work?  I may try that:-)
(The outside, photo from their site....)
Our adventures and my photos start here with some quotes from their website in red...
"Our dedicated pitmasters then cook the pigs  around the clock to bring you 
the best barbecue you’ll find in these parts."
"You’ll get a fine dose of Southern hospitality when you walk through the 
doors of our beautifully restored warehouse-now-restaurant."
We arrived a bit early and were greeted by a friendly staff.  They said it would be fine if we went to the bar.  They did not have to tell us twice...off we went.
(Lovely Bar, Lots of Bottles:-)
 My choice of beverage...Hard Apple Cider
 Yummy!
 Cindy's choice was The Bull City CiderWorks Sweet Carolina
 I took a sip, very good.  I am not a beer person, but I sure do like the hard ciders.  
I can just pretend I am drinking beer:-)
Everyone gets hush puppies and biscuits.
Which are delicious.
"At The Pit, we proudly carry on the tradition of wood-fired, free-range, 
vinegar-based, whole-hog Eastern North Carolina barbecue. " 
I decided to get the combo so I would have leftovers.
I love leftovers.
Fried Chicken
Chopped Pork
Mac and Cheese
Coleslaw
 "..the hogs meet Animal Welfare Approved standards, guaranteeing the natural behavior of each animal. That means the hogs are raised outdoors and without the use of antibiotics, growth promotants, or animal byproducts





We enjoyed a delicious meal at The Pit.  I enjoyed the barbecue.  They have 3 types of sauce at the table for you to try.  I used them all.  The mac and cheese was a 10.  I enjoyed the chicken the next day and it was moist and tasty.
If you are hungry and find yourself in Durham NC.  I suggest you check out The Pit.  You won't be disappointed.  I would suggest reservations, sometimes the line is out the door.  You also may want to try their Brunswick Stew.  I was talking with a friend today and she said it is amazing.  I know what I am getting next time.
Get out and try a new restaurant...
Kathiey:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment